Thursday, March 21, 2013

Beauty

There was a gentleman who's eye I hoped to catch.  No, more than that.  Though not yet enough to merit so much thought and attention (Dietrich von Hildebrand would disagree!), our few recent interactions caused me to desire his attention and awe.


So I put on my makeup, some earrings, and my cutest clothes.  Ha ha!

Did it work?

Wrong bait.  Of course not.  Maura Byrne of Made in His Image asked, would you rather be hot, or beautiful?

(Attention is attention, right?  So I'd rather be hot, because it gets attention.  My 8 year olds will do anything to get attention if they've been deprived.  It is my responsibility as a mature adult NOT to give attention for the wrong things.  So we look again.  Not all attention is equal.  Honestly, I would rather have attention that comes for being unassuming, fixed on Christ, and interiorly beautiful.)

I have gotten better at makeup, and clothes, and the feminine manner.  And in their way, these things are very important.  But I am too practiced in the wrong version of "beauty".  If this gentleman is who I perceive him to be, he will be attracted only to genuine beauty: inner grace, radiance, gentleness, love for Jesus Christ.  Not to too-much-mascara without a lot more to back it up.


The Holy Spirit granted me a great peace in this; He has promised me a very good man.  So I have a job to do while I'm waiting: to become that pure, unassuming, heart-undistracted for Jesus Christ beautiful, so that this very good man will have something to be attracted to. :)

Pray for me.


Simple enough.  And if not the aforementioned one, then another.

No comments:

Post a Comment